Friday, August 3, 2012

Why is Proctor & Gamble advertising P&G?

As a former P&G marketer I'll admit that I have a lot of P&G loyalty, but every time I see one of the P&G Olympic advertisements I scratch my head.  It's not because I don't like the ads, you have to be heartless not to feel the emotion when they air the "Thank You, Mom" campaign...



...it's just I want to understand the end game for P&G.  There's no doubt the ads are emotionally moving, but the brand recall is all about P&G a large corporation that consumers have no emotional connection to, as opposed to say Pampers or Tide, which have a ton of emotional equity built up in the hearts and minds of consumers.

In short, I want to know what is the company's long-term strategy.  I say long-term because if the company was just trying to boost sales of its current business, there's no doubt it would have a higher ROI throwing this money behind an ad that builds up one of its leading billion dollar brands.

Such as these ads:





If I had to guess, the logic is that the overarching ads focused on P&G provide the backbone of the campaign and help tie all the individual brand ads together, but I'd actually suggest that the overall ad dilutes the individual brand ads because at some point they all start blending together in the consumer's mind.  Either way, its tough to try to build an emotional connection between a billion dollar conglomerate, and even if you do, then you still have the uphill battle of educating consumers on which brands are even made by the company.  Love the "Thank You, Mom" ads from a heart strings standpoint, but have a tough time believe its providing the company the biggest bang for its buck

No comments:

Post a Comment